Search This Blog

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Recommendation of the month - December 2013

This is the last month of the year and people prepare and get in the mood of the winter holidays. Hence I am not keen to suggest you take some of the precious time which should be spent with your families for some boring legal or economic lecture.
Instead I will share with you my reading plans for the winter holidays. 
The most important book I intend to read until the beginning of January 2014 is The Downing Street Years” by Margaret Thatcher.  We should not forget that 2013 is the year when of the most astonishing persons (not just among the ladies) in history passed away. I am, of course, an admirer of what Margaret Thatcher has done. In short - sound policies for sound economies. 
I started this book, published by Harper Press in 2011, some time ago but my limited time in 2012 and 2013 did not allow me to finish it. I got to page 124 out of a staggering 862 pages full of details of what happened in the mind and in the heart of the ”Iron Lady” (yes, she did have a heart) during her (mostly) tough years in office.  I do not consider that Margaret Thatcher was perfect but her way of seeing the things and findings the way through the problems is amazing. In a world (politics) full of shaky people the lady was”not for turning” and this is a kind of attitude which we will always have in short supply. Anyway, I have a long story ahead of me. I will get through it with great interest.
I have ambitious plans for the winter holidays but the most ambitious plan is to only do this: reading.  
As such I do not recommend you any lecture now but I urge you to use this time of the year for caring about the precious living beings and things in your life! You will have enough time for the rest in the rest of the year. 
Speaking of which, I wish you a very competitive 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment